Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Travelling sans toddler

So, this past weekend I went to Davis, California for my stepbrother's graduation. D stayed behind with Connor, didn't feel like it was worth it to take him since none of the activities were ones that Connor would sit well through. Graduation ceremony? I think not. Long family dinners in nice restaurants? No again.

After leaving my boys with supplies (baked goods and a vat of soup), I set off on my solo trip. Right off the bat, I got delayed for 3 hours in LAX. Everyone around me was super pissed-off about the whole thing, but I cared not. I went and bought myself some food and a book. It was probably the most relaxing thing I've done in weeks, waiting in that airport. I felt bad for all the families around me chasing toddlers and lugging their mountains of shit. But, not me! I'm sure people wondered why I was smiling so much.

Once there, I was picked up by my wonderful stepbrother and checked into my Motel 6 by myself. Motel 6 is the shittiest chain on the planet, but to me it felt like the Ritz. Seriously. Did I mention I was there by myself and did not have to set up a pack 'n play and then locate the local playgrounds? That night I had a late dinner with my mom, stepdad, and stepbrother at 8:30. I cannot remember the last time I ate after 6. Afterward, I went back to the Ritz 6 and slept in the following morning. Aaaah!

The rest of the weekend was more of the same: complete liberation. I even went drinking with the college students and didn't puke! Hells yeah for the old mommy!

Needless to say, the weekend was super fun and I can't wait for my next solo adventure!

1 comment:

The Willinghams said...

It sounds like you had an amazing time!